Radar and ARPA Manual, 3rd Edition
This fully revised new edition covers the complete radar/ARPA installation and serves as the most comprehensive and up-to-date reference on equipment and techniques for radar observers using older and newer systems alike. Suitable for use as a professional reference or as a training text, the book covers all aspects of radar, ARPA and integrated bridge systems technology (including AIS, ECDIS and GNSS) and their role in shipboard operations. It is a valuable resource for larger vessels and also covers the needs of leisure and amateur sailors for whom this technology is now accessible.
Radar and ARPA Manual provides essential information for professional mariners, including those on training courses for electronic navigation systems and professional certificates internationally. Reference is made throughout to IMO (International Maritime Organization) Performance Standards, the role of radar in navigation and in collision avoidance, and to international professional and amateur marine operations qualifications.
- The most up-to-date book available, with comprehensive treatment of modern radar and ARPA systems and ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display & Information Systems)
- Full coverage of IMO performance standards relating to radar and navigational technology on new and established vessels
- Covers best practice use of equipment as well as underlying principles, with essential mathematics and complicated concepts illustrated through the use of clear illustrations
Professional mariners, port, ship & boat managers ashore, leisure industry users, boat & shipbuilders, yacht skippers, naval architects, ship equipment specifiers, maritime lawyers, port & harbour authorities, marine equipment manufacturers, and command level marine students studying for deck and navigation qualifications.
Table of Contents
1. Basic Radar Principles
2. The Radar System – Operational Principles
3. Target Detection
4. Automatic Target Tracking, Specified Facilities
5. ARPA and ATA – Additional Facilities
6. The Radar System – Operational Controls
7. Radar Plotting Including Collision Avoidance
8. Navigation Techniques Using Radar and ARPA/ATA
9. ARPA and ATA – Accuracy and Errors
10. Ancillary Equipment
11. Extracts from Official Publications