Amendment 5 to the Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers (COSWP) 2015 edition provides updates to Chapters 1-6, 8-12, 15, 18, 20-24, 26, and 28.
COSWP provides guidance on improving health and safety on board vessels and articulates how statutory obligations should be fulfilled. The Code details the regulatory framework for health and safety on board ship, safety management and statutory duties underlying the advice in the Code and the areas that should be covered when introducing a new recruit to the safety procedures on board.
It is a statutory requirement for the current edition of the Code to be carried on board all UK ships, other than fishing vessels and pleasure craft. The Code contains essential health and safety information and it must be made available to any seafarer on board the ship who requests it.
Amendment 5 includes the following updates:
- New section on damage control drills
- New annex with table of emergency drills and their frequency
- Updated info on vibration exposure limits
- Table of recommended maximum sound limits for different areas on board ship updated in annex
- Updated info on personal monitoring equipment
- New table about testing for toxic gases
- Updated info on isolation while working on powered machinery or equipment
- New section on critical equipment
- New info on the lock out, tag out (LOTO) safety procedure
This loose leaf insert has 224 pages and is A4 size.
For the Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers collection, click here.