ECDIS Procedures Guide
To achieve compliance with international regulations, a ship may navigate with ECDIS as the primary means of navigation if:
• Sufficient official data adequate for the intended passage is installed (ENC and RNC)
• the installed ECDIS is type approved
• a second type approved ECDIS is installed as a backup (or there is a full paper chart backup)
• adequate generic and type specific training has taken place
• any additional requirements laid down by Flag State are fulfilled.
Additionally, a ship may navigate paperless if it utilizes ENCs to fulfil the chart requirement (ie official vector charts only).
All of these developments require navigating officers to adopt and adhere to new watchkeeping routines and practices with the use of ECDIS. The ECDIS Procedures Guide, provides a framework and supporting background and checklists to help companies implement best practices in the use of ECDIS onboard their ships.
- Witherby Seamanship International