A Master's Guide to Berthing
Ship handling is an art rather than a science. However, a ship handler who knows a little of the science will be better at his art. Knowledge of the science will enable easy identification of a ship's manoeuvring characteristics and quick evaluation of the skills needed for control.
This guide will help any ship handler to improve their skills.
1. Golden Rules of Berthing
2. Dock Damage and P&l Claims
3. Ship Factors that Affect Manoeuvring
4. Berthing in Wind
5. Effect of Current
6. Hydrodynamic Effects
7. Berthing without Tugs
8. Berthing with Tugs
9. Berthing with Anchors
10. Tugs and Pilots – Legal Issues
11. Master/Pilot Relationship
(Incorporating the ICS/lntertanko/OCIMF Guide)
- Witherby Seamanship International