What's it for?
The Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers 2015 edition provides guidance on improving safety and health on board ships and articulates how statutory obligations should be fulfilled. Topics covered in this publication include but not limited to are:
- Managing health and safety on board the vessel
- Safety induction
- Living standards and procedures
- Emergency drills and procedures
- Fire precautions
- Security on board
- Health surveillance
- Personal protective equipment
- Safety signs and their use
- Manual handling
- Safe movement on board a ship
- Noise, vibrations, and other physical agents
- Safety officials
- Permit to work systems
- Entering dangerous or enclosed spaces
- Hatch covers and access lids
- Work at height
- Provision care and use of work equipment
- Lifting plant and operations
- Work on machinery and power systems
- Hazardous substances and mixtures
- Boarding arrangements
- Food preparation and handling in the catering
- Hot work
- Anchoring, mooring, and towing operations
- Roll on/roll off ferries
- Dry cargo
- Tankers and other ships carrying bulk liquid cargo
- Port towage industry
- Ships serving offshore oil and gas installations
- Ships serving offshore renewables
Why is it needed?
It is a statutory requirement for the current edition of the Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers to be carried on board all UK registered vessels other than fishing vessels and pleasure craft. The Code contains essential health and safety information and it must be made available to any seafarer on board the ship who requests it. The Code should also be reviewed with any new crew member to a vessel when discussing health and safety procedures for the ship.
New content in the Code includes:
A new chapter outlining the importance of a good safety culture, including revised guidance on risk assessment.
New content on fatigue.
Revised chapter on entry into dangerous spaces, reflecting new SOLAS requirements, IMO Resolution A.27/Res.1050 and other best practice.
A new chapter on ergonomics.
- More informative texts on human behavioral elements throughout.
Where you can find it?
The Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers 2015 edition is now available in hardcopy or PDF format at American Nautical Services. The Code can be purchased through our website.